If you are new to the Foodie Penpals concept, here’s the scoop. It was started by Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean Blog last year. You simply get matched with another blogger or blog reader and send a $15 dollar “foodie gift.” Then at the end of the month, you post what you’ve received from whomever is matched to you.
This month I received a lovely package from Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love. Sabrina is a certified personal trainer whose blog is dedicated to motivating you to move while making you feel like you’re hanging out with a good friend. Her recent post was sober yet uplifting as she writes about her fiance’s recovery from skin cancer. Which immediately motivated me to make that dermatology appointment I have been putting off.
So, here’s what greeted me one morning at my doorstop:
And inside (with a note denoting my “sweet”, “salty” and “spicy” goodies):
- Dark Chocolate Coated Matzah – Oh my. I’ve never seen these and yes, they were GOOD. (Made me rethink of matzah’s possibilities in the dessert arena…)
- Handcooked Virginia Peanuts from The Peanut Shop – These are local to Sabrina and I was thrilled to get them! In the past, I’ve done a fair share of nutrition communications work with the National Peanut Board and I know superior, high quality peanuts when I see them.
- PK Cilantro Pleasure Hot Sauce – OK, I’ll admit this one is scaring me just a bit (I’m kind of a hot sauce/spicy wimp) but I plan on mixing it into mashed avocado to make a super spicy guacamole at our next cookout.
- EcoDrink Daily Multivitamin – This is basically a powdered flavored vitamin packet that you mix into water. I’m saving for when I need a nutrient boost!
And now the best for last (that I certainly did not save – these were gone in days):
- Bev’s Chocolate Chip Cookies – Apparently Bev is a Eating Well reader who contributed her cookie recipe to one of their cookbooks back in 2004. She cut back the sugar in her traditional recipe and added whole grains – whole wheat flour and oats. Well, thank YOU Bev and Sabrina because these were amazing! Everything you’d want from a chocolate chip cookie – and bonus, they are perfect for a care package as they traveled just fine from Northern Virginia to Philadelphia. Here’s a link to the recipe.
Want to become a Foodie Penpal? Foodie Penpals is open to both bloggers and readers in the US and Canada. (There’s also a UK branch of Foodie Penpals if you’re a blogger across the pond.) If you’d like to participate next month, click here for more information and instructions on participation. Registration closes at the end of the day on July 4th, so don’t delay!