Inspired by the popular hummus flavor, these super easy veggie patties make a great appetizer or meatless meal.~ by Serena Ball, MS, RD
These super-easy Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Cakes got 12 thumbs-up from the family. That’s two thumbs each from my 3 kids + 1 baby + 1 husband + me.
Yup, on a scale of 1 – 10 thumbs, I’d give these cakes 12 thumbs-up. They’re that good.
So, I’m super excited that this month’s theme for The Recipe ReDux is dedicated to the pattie/burger/cake since I’ve served variations of the veggie burger/bean cake/potato patty often this winter; and these Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Cakes were the clear favorite!
Why serve bean and veggie patties so often? Let me count the healthy ways:
- All you need is canned beans in the pantry – or a batch of totally budget-friendly slow cooker dry beans via this (somewhat revolutionary) non-soak method.
- Beans count as a serving of vegetables AND a protein source. Adding another serving of veggies to my family’s meal is pretty much always a goal.
- Everyone likes them. And unlike some foods, they are easy for Baby to chew. (She currently has only 7 teeth!)
Since I have plenty of veggie burger/cake/patty-making under my belt, including these Pepperjack, Bean & Potato Cakes, here are the tips I’ve picked up:
- Add oatmeal – Many recipe use bread crumbs to help bind the patties and absorb liquid, but I like using oatmeal. I like the nutty flavor and whole grain nutrition – plus if you give the patty mix about 10 minutes to rest, the oats plump up and thus bulk up the burgers/patties.
- Fry instead of bake – Wait! Did a dietitian just say that? Yes. I’ve tested both methods. In this recipe I baked – and as you can see by the photos, there is no nice golden color. But in the photos below, you can see a golden crust. I also love the crispy crust and moist interior provided by frying. Use 1/2 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or canola oil) per 4-5 patties and fry in a cast iron skillet for crispiest crust.
- Moist mixtures = moist patties – If your bean/veggie mixture is on the crumbly side, you patties will be too. A sticky mixture may be a little goopy to shape into cakes, but the final results will be worth it! To increase mixture moisture, add a tablespoon of peanut butter, water, mashed sweet potatoes or avocado.
And so, armed with the above tips and the ReDux recipes below, you can be all set for a whole season of thumbs-up-meals! And here’s Day 2 of the Recipe ReDux “Patty Party.”
Please share about your last thumbs-up meal!